Friday, November 14, 2008

We Failed Financial Peace University....

It's official.. Skip and I failed Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. We were very "gung ho" when we signed up but then mono struck. I posted my anxiety about the whole FPU, spending only cash, don't have fun, eat rice type of living in the beginning. We missed the past 7 or so meetings (there are only 15). We really did have a fun small group and hate that we didn't get to spend more time with them.

We have specific words that we choose not to use in our house: stupid, hate, dumb, etc. You get the drift. They aren't necessarily cuss words but tend to be over-used once they are allowed. Well..... knowing we don't use these words, they are kind of like cuss words when my kids say them. All 3 of them at one time or another said, "I hate Dave Ramsey, he is stupid." I sensed they were tired of hearing, Dave Ramsey would not want us to go out to eat, Dave Ramsey would not want us to go to Disney this December, etc. But.. it did give them insight as to how much money we spend on them. Our children are less than deprived and they needed this budget stuff to bring them closer to reality.

All and all...our mini Dave Ramsey class was beneficial. If it did anything, it made us think about what we spend money on and start to formulate a budget. We have never lived on a budget so this is a big deal to us. For that reason, the class was worth it. So.. I apologize for my complaining and would recommend this course to anyone, just be ready to be miserable for a week or two until you adjust.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

same here I want to spend money but I need to save money for collage

Anonymous said...

bookey should learn how to spell, before going to "collage"... or is it "college"?!? learn the basics before spending thousands of dollars...

Anonymous said...

i've read ramsey's books but never attended his classes. his topics are well thought out, but they are not for everyone. the key to everything is to set goals (both short-term & long), then live within your means. I have many friends whom I consider to be very wealthy...and they show their wealth by purchasing the "latest & greatest".... however, I do not focus on these material items, but instead focus on my goals (providing an education for my children, establsihing funds for retirement, continuing my education in an attempt to continue to be "market-able" to future employers.

Angela Richardson said...

so I guess eating at Panera at 4 in the afternoon is WAY out of the Ramsey curve.

You are doing great. Saving money on heat with your firewood, and mattress warmers. Only thing I know for sure that you enjoy in excess is your Diet Cokes, but I'm not about to try to pry those from your grip.

jenniferg said...

You can take away my heat, but don't touch my Diet Coke. Actually, you are right. I need to cut back. Notice.. I did not say eliminate.