Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thankful

Usually we are thankful and express gratitude at Thanksgiving. For some reason, this past week, I have been reminded over and over again that I am thankful. What does thankful mean?
Thankful: adjective
feeling or expressing gratitude; appreciative


Here is a list (I am a bullet point list type of girl) of 10 things I am thankful for at this moment:
1. I am thankful for Skip. He is a Godly man that honors his family, serves his community and is an all around great person. He never draws attention to himself or wants to be recognized. He is my rock, he is my best friend, he is my number 1 supporter.
2. I am thankful for my 3 wonderful babies. They drive me nuts at times but that is how the parent/child thing can roll at times. They are wonderful individual creatures. I am thankful for the time we get to spend together as a family. I am thankful that they are respectful and happy children (most of the time). I am most thankful that they know Jesus. Grant's health is 100% better. What a miracle!
3. I am thankful that we have a home that we love. This is our 5th house and we have been here 10 years. Yes, I get the urge to move into a bigger or newer house the my kids remind us that they LOVE it here. This house is big, bigger than we actually need. Most importantly, our neighbors rock! My kids have 20 instant friends to play outside on any given day. My kids still love to play kick ball, hide and seek, tag, build forts, etc. with the neighborhood kids. My neighbors would help us in any way at any time. We could buy a 'nicer' house but we couldn't buy these neighbors. As they say, priceless.
4. I am thankful for my parents. They are wonderful. We are all very close. They are still my mom/dad but they are more of my friends, counselors, supporters, encourager's now. The roles are evolving as we age.
5. I am thankful that all my medical tests this year have been normal. We are ready to battle anything thrown our way but we have been given clean results so far.
6. I am thankful that my hubby and I still have good jobs. I work part-time from home for an incredible company. Skip has a flexible schedule that allows him to be a part of the kids lives more while still succeeding in his job.
7. I am thankful for our little dogs. I never really considered myself a dog person but I love these little creatures. They are my company while I am working during the day.
8. I am thankful for our church. Our church has been instrumental in changing the focus of our family.
9. I am thankful for the opportunities we have to be together as a family whether that is watching a movie by the fire, traveling for vacation, to visit family/friends, going to dinner or having family dinner at home. I am thankful that our lives allow time. Or shall I say that I am thankful that we all value time with each other so much that we make our schedules fit "our" time?
10. I am thankful I am forgiven. I am definitely not perfect, never have been, never will be. I have had moments in my life where I was 'better behaved' than others. I am thankful that I am forgiven and restored. I am thankful that God forgives us and loves us for us. He created us to be individuals. I finally get that! God created each of us individually, why do we want to be 'like' someone else? That is no who he created. At 42, I get it!

Psalm 107:1 (NIV)

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."

No comments: